Monday, October 24, 2016

Blessings and birthdays

Elder Stoddard made PIZZA for district meeting

Our favorite sisters stopping in to district meeting before physical therapy

Sister Green is officially a missionary (thanks to construction paper and tape)

Temperatures are dropping and Louisiana is just as beautiful as ever. It's been a real good week y'all. We've had  disappointments this week but as usual the joy we experience is greater than any hard moment. It has been cool to see how every disappointment has a bright side. What a blessing!

Marcella fell back hard into drugs and alcohol. Paul is still solid but he has been busy trying to help her. She was off the radar for a few days and then she was in the hospital and now she is back with Paul.Paul is still solid and trying to stay strong but obviously this is hard for him. He says he is just so happy he has the Book of Mormon to turn to now because it gives him comfort and strength. He didn't come to church like he promised he would and we are going to have to set a new baptismal date for him but we know he will get there in his own way. We are trusting in the Lords timing.

Connie, one of our new investigators loves the gospel and is excited to get baptized! The only problem we are running into with her is helping her get to church. Poor Connie really wants to come but she needs to have staff with her at all times. Her staff member that works on Sunday doesn't want to bring Connie to church because she likes to take Connie to her own church. We're not sure how to deal with this one, but we know God will provide a way.

Lisa started smoking again. But we had a really good lesson and heart to heart with her and she decided on her own to rip up all of her cigarettes. We helped her and it was pretty fun!

Happy moments:

 - Sister Amezcua had physical therapy in Opelousas Tuesday morning so she and her comp stayed with Sister Gelwix and I Monday night. I've missed her so much and it was fun to see her again!
 - Becky told us she has been practically glowing since she came to church last week. She said she catches herself smiling all the time and she has this crazy urge to read the Book of Mormon 24/7. She is definitely committed to the gospel and is always eager to learn more. 
 - Sister V, our relief society president, is one of the few people in Opelousas with a car. She drove us to a far out place in our area and we had some great lessons with her. It is always a blessing when the ward members help us out!
 - Sister Gelwix is a rockstar of a companion. I turned 20 on Saturday and she made me breakfast, made a birthday sign, and wrote me some sweet notes. I am blessed to have this sweet sister as my companion <3


One of my favorite parts about serving a mission is watching the atonement work miracles in the lives of those we teach. It is beautiful to see how this gospel can bring light into their eyes and help them feel joy. I have definitely felt its strength in my own life. It must be frustrating to Heavenly Father to have such an imperfect tool to work with but he has been lifting me up and helping me fulfill my call. Like Ammon I can say, "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever" (Alma 26:12). God is good, this gospel is perfect, and life is beautiful. 

I love y'all and I hope you are doing well! Thank you for your love and support; it means the world to me. Have a blessed week!

Sister Thomas

Sister Gelwix making me breakfast on my bday <3

S/O to mom and fam for the awesome birthday package <3

Our ghetto birthday cake 

No comments:

Post a Comment