Monday, October 10, 2016

Opelousas Louisiana has my heart

Sister Amezcua heart attacked our door while she was in town for physical therapy. I wanted to cry when I saw it because I was so happy and because I love her so much <3

Baby Sophia after our little surgery

I think I fall a little more in love with Opelousas every day. This is by far the weirdest place I have ever been but I love it! I would do just about anything for these people. They are wild, weird, and wonderful. I am sure blessed :)

Sister Nations passed away last Monday night. She was an incredible woman. She and her husband have both changed my life. I have gotten really close to this couple in the last couple months; they feel like family. Brother Nations calls me his "daughter" every time he sees me and it makes me happy because I love them so much. 

We saw Sister Nations a couple hours before she passed away because we came over to sing hymns. It was a beautiful experience. Their home truly felt like a heaven on earth. Brother Nations was holding her hand as we sang and the spirit was strong. Sister Nations couldn't speak or open her eyes, but even her nonmember family members remarked that she looked like she wanted to join in singing. I hope I don't ever forget the spirit we felt in their home that night. 

We have been really blessed this week. We have a few new investigators and it is incredible to see the way the gospel has already changed their lives in just a short period of time. Paul and Marcella told us a couple days ago that they were up until 2 am reading the Book of Mormon because they felt so good and they wanted to keep going! People here might not be able to read very well but they can still feel the power of the Book of Mormon. Another new investigator, Becky, told us she had been in a deep hole for a while and she was praying to know what to do in her life and then that's when we showed up! God is just so good. He is the perfect father to His children and He knows just what they need and when they need it. 

Funny moments:

 - Sister Green loves to "crank" (prank). She told us that next time she goes to the doctor she is going to stuff a pillow in her belly so she looks pregnant and then she'll have her daughter on the phone making baby noises....what?? Haha it is always an adventure with Sister Green. She is a hoot.
 - Sister Green has a baby doll she pretends is a real baby. Its batteries were running low so she had us perform "surgery" (changing batteries) on the poor thing. The operation was a success!
 - Prayers here are always a good time. When people pray, they mean it and they definitely say what is on their mind. Sometimes they pray for their hair to turn out good so they can make it to church and sometimes they pray for their neighbors to stop performing witchcraft and to burn. We always have a good laugh :)

God has been so good to me lately. He blessed me with Sister Gelwix, who is an incredible missionary. She is hard working and we have a lot of fun together. We have seen a lot of tender mercies with our investigators and the less actives we visit. Sometimes being a missionary is sad because you love the people so much and when they fall or make choices that lead them to be unhappy it hurts. But I am thankful that God has given us agency, the ability to choose, because that is what makes the plan of salvation possible. Our decisions determine our destiny (Thomas S. Monson) and we can commit every day to follow the Savior and receive His strength and peace. That is a beautiful thing.

I love y'all and think about you often. Keep loving life and choosing to follow Christ! It is so worth it, I promise. I hope y'all have a blessed week!


 Sister Nations a couple hours before passing away

 Serving in Opelousas Louisiana is just the happiest thing

No comments:

Post a Comment