Monday, November 20, 2017

"Right at home"

P-day right on the water at the Pete's

Fishin

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!! I hope everyone has a holiday filled with good people, good food, and thankful hearts. 

Dorothy walked into church for the first time this week. She smiled at me and said "I feel right at home here. This feels good." What a happy moment! Yesterday was her birthday and she celebrated it by coming to church with us. She was practically glowing, she was so happy. I love how familiar the gospel feels. When we feel the spirit we get a taste of what heaven feels like so it's no wonder it tends to feel like coming home. 

We were out finding this week and we had a sad moment. It was dark and getting late, around 8 pm. A lot of people in these neighborhoods get cranky around that time and don't like to talk to us. But we knocked on this one guy's house and he answered the door and talked to us for a while. He told us he was baptist but that he had met with missionaries a few years ago. "I learned a lot of truth and that's the church I would join if I were willing to be more, what's the word for it, faithful." He told us he knows it's true but it's too much for him to live. Then he told us this was the kind of neighborhood where we'd get the cops called on us and so we had better get out (classic). 

I thought about that a lot. It's a big adjustment for someone to change their life and join the church, there's no denying that, but it really hit me that he knew it was true but wasn't willing to live it or even learn more about it. It gave me more resolve to seek out Heavenly Father's will and follow it. I mean living the gospel isn't easy. It isn't usually convenient. When we receive promptings or assignments to serve someone it takes resolve on our part to forget ourselves and focus on others. We don't always feel qualified when we receive callings and it can be inconvenient to magnify them. But "there is no spiritual power in living by convenience. The power comes as we keep our covenants" - Elder Ballard. I want the Lord to know He can count on me and I want to rely on Him for the strength and resolve to do His will. It's a lifetime pursuit but I know it's the happiest way to live. 

I love y'all a lot! Have a happy week counting blessings and giving thanks <3

"Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings but it also unlocks the doors of heaven" - Thomas S. Monson

<3 Sister Thomas


HBD Miss Dorothy

My Slidell fam
Rayce: "be cool"

No comments:

Post a Comment