Tuesday, March 7, 2017

"Because God is great"

Such a happy day with this gentleman


"This suit makes be look fat" - Leonard

I am beyond stoked to be with Sister Pedro for another 6 weeks!

 Sister Amezcua has changed my life. She will be the best member missionary California has ever seen.

9 y/o Abbie taught us how to play baseball (I obviously had no idea what I was doing)

Who knew?

Quote of the week:
We were visiting Leonard a couple days before his baptism and he was practically glowing. He was grinning and laughing for no reason. I was pretty sure I already knew the answer but I asked him why he was so happy. Leonard said, "I can tell you exactly why I'm happy. I'm doing the right thing. I've been praying and reading the scriptures every day and God is blessing me." 

His baptism was beautiful. Leonard is such a brave soul to be embracing the gospel at 72 years old. He is humble and willing to endure to the end following Jesus Christ. The spirit was strong as this sweet man covenanted with Heavenly Father. I feel so blessed to know Mr. Leonard.
.
This week flew by and was packed full of happy moments. Mardi Gras was craaaazy fun! It was a wild and wonderful once in a lifetime kind of thing. We were happy and laughing and jumping to catch beads from the beautiful/weird floats in the parade. We saw a lot of drinking, crazy costumes, and wild lifestyles. It makes me appreciate the perspective the gospel gives us about what brings genuine happiness and joy. It was such a good day.

Sister Pedro and I got a call from president this morning. He told us that we are going to be the new sister training leaders for the zone! I feel very weak and inadequate but at the same time there is an overriding feeling of peace. Sister Pedro is such a boss! I'll still be training her but we will be STLs together at the same time. It's her second transfer and she's already going STL? I am lucky to be serving with such a spiritual giant. 

"None of us are called because we are great, we are called to lead because God is great" - Sister Amezcua. I am thankful for Jesus Christ and trust that through Him we can do all things. I seem to learn that again and again each day. Tomorrow I hit 9 months as a missionary and I've been thinking a lot about where I am at and where I would like to be. I set some goals for myself to reach higher and become the servant the Lord needs me to be. With the help of the atonement I hope to grow a little each day. 

I love y'all! Thanks for the love and support. Y'all are always in my prayers. Have a bless'd week!

Sister Thomas

Our pre-parade show featured a group on a megaphone telling New Orleans to repent



MARDI GRAS (they even decorated the porta potty)




No comments:

Post a Comment