Monday, November 21, 2016

Blessings and serenity

Pictures don't do the Louisiana skies justice

 Nathan, a recent convert just received the Aaronic Priesthood! He was so proud and ran up to show us. He sure loves the sisters! (ft. Nathan putting his arm around me and me awkwardly leaning away)

Happy Thanksgiving y'all! 'Tis the season to remember our blessings and give thanks for all we have. Gratitude brings true joy. No matter what stage of life we are in I am sure we all have more blessings than burdens, so let's give thanks to our loving Father in Heaven!

It was a blessed week. This week:

·         We walked Opelousas: We cover a large area and we are blessed to have cars to drive. We're allotted an amount of miles for the month, and we're running low. Since our bikes were stolen a few weeks ago, in order to save miles we walked across the town! It took an hour to get from one place to another but we had fun on this little adventure :)
·         I hit up the city: Sweet Sister Gelwix took over Opelousas and I went to Alexandria on exchanges for 24 hours. Missionary work in the city is sure different than in the country! I met some rockin members and we volunteered at Salvation Army. God gives us exactly what we need and I learned a lot about myself and areas I need to improve. What a blessing to get a glimpse of God's love for me and how He wants to help lift me higher. 
·         Sister Green practiced being blind: We were working in Opelousas Friday evening and all our plans kept falling through. We thought about seeing Sister Green but it didn't make sense because we had just seen her the day before. But the thought kept popping up so we decided to give her a call and stop in. She was in bad shape. This darling lady never complains or lets others know when she is hurting but she was in bad shape. She couldn't move any of her limbs, she was in a lot of pain, and her eyesight was going. The Elders were forty minutes away so we called a member of the ward to give her a blessing. Sister Green is a warrior. Since then her eyesight has gone in and out but she is practicing dialing her phone, using her computer, etc. with her eyes closed so she will be prepared if/when she loses her sight. I am blessed to have this special lady in my life. 
I am humbled to serve in Opelousas, Louisiana. This place has opened my eyes and changed me. It has helped me see how blessed I truly am. There are some days where everything seems to feel out of control. Like when our investigator with cancer goes to the hospital because she is malnourished and doesn't have the money for food or water. That is humbling. As missionaries it is hard for us to lift people out of these circumstances. I always wish I could do more for these warriors. But Heavenly Father always reassures me that the most important thing we can do to help these people is to bring them the message of the restored gospel. I might not have much experience, but I know this gospel is true. I know God loves His children and I know He has restored His truth to the earth again. I am blessed to get to share this message every day.
                                                
There is a "serenity prayer" that is popular around here:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I hope y'all have a beautiful Thanksgiving and remember where all our blessings come from. Life is beautiful! Thank you for the love and support! My prayers are always with y'all <3

Sister Thomas

The 9 primary kids celebrating after the primary program

A friendly sign we found on our walk

No comments:

Post a Comment