Monday, September 12, 2016

"There is Sunshine in my Soul Today"

Sweet lil Aubrey with her Grandma's hospital bed in the background

Sister Green getting ready for her zombie debut

Hey y'all! I hope y'all are happy and well! Life is good in Opelousas Louisiana. This week was crazy and beautiful. Classic.

Sister Amezcua is a warrior. She had a high fever again for a while, but that went away. We're happy about that! She's been doing physical therapy which seems to be helping. We are thankful for all of the prayers! She is positive and she teaches me about choosing to find joy in life. I love her a lot and I already know I'm going to miss her so much when we aren't together. 

Funny moments this week:
- We "pranked" the Elders! Sister Green is a sweet and crazy less active lady in our ward that we visit often. She has cerebral palsy and she is the funniest lady! She wanted to prank the Elders so we suggested we hide behind her bed and jump out with silly string when they come to visit her. She agreed...but she took it to the next level! She asked us to cover her in fake blood so she could really freak the Elders out. It was crazy, but we agreed! The blood/zombie/silly string prank was a success!
- Sister Amezcua got DUNKED! We were doing some service for a member of the ward who just gave birth. Another member was helping us out and after we were done with all the yard work he pushed Sister Amezcua into the kiddy pool in the yard and pushed her head under. I guess he didn't know we aren't supposed to swim! 

The people here in Louisiana amaze me. I am in awe of their faith and their strength. There is one woman in the ward that has been in the hospital for kidney failure. She came home a couple days ago because she wanted to die at home. We visited her and her husband on Saturday, intending to have a short visit with them but we ended up staying all day to help them out. It was sad and heartbreakingly beautiful. We sang hymns to her, read scriptures and conference talks to her, and even planned her funeral with her. It is beautiful to see the love that she and her husband have for each other. Their love is so pure and so strong. Obviously it is a hard time for them but their consolation is they know where she will be going. This gospel is so true! Christ is with us in the hardest of times and in the happiest of times. 

This gospel is truly the remedy for everything. Jesus Christ is the answer to every problem; He is the healing needed for every wound. Sometimes I catch myself wishing I could do more for these people. I love them so much and I want them to be happy! But I am understanding more and more that this gospel is literally the most important thing I can give these people. I am so lucky to know about the gospel and I am so lucky to get to share it as a full time gig! 

I love y'all a ton! Keep on keeping on. When life gets cloudy, find the rays of sunshine through the darkness. There is always joy to find somewhere. Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment