Monday, September 18, 2017

Spiritual highs and smiles

I love Sister Gelwix <3

This sweet and craaazy woman who was telling us about her "drug ferret"

It was another lovely week in the world of Louisiana! I seriously don't think I'll ever get over this place. I feel a lot like the people of Alma in Mosiah 18. Just like how Mormon became "beautiful...to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer" (Mosiah 18:30), Louisiana has become a beautiful and sacred place to me because it is here that I have come to know Jesus Christ in such a personal way. I wouldn't trade this place or these experiences for the world. 

It was one of those weeks that kept us smiling! Here are some of my favorite smile moments:
  • We were teaching Sierra (an answer to prayers) at the Union, which is the student center on campus. She wanted to meet in the food court as she took her lunch break so we sat at a table right outside smoothie king. Let me tell you - there were blenders going, people talking all around us, trays dropping, and all sorts of crazy noises but it was as if we were in a small spiritual bubble. The outside world could have been miles away for all we knew; the spirit was strong as we testified of Heavenly Father's plan of happiness. Sierra opened up and is now on date for baptism! We love her and her sweet desire to follow Jesus Christ.
  • We were coming back from this amazing lesson and had a sweet "feel good" experience! As we were walking back from campus we saw this cute little old asian woman wobbling up to us. She didn't speak any english but she embraced us and held our faces, looking into our eyes with such joy. She kept hugging us and kissing our faces and then she just walked away. Words don't do it justice, but it was one of the coolest moments.
  • I went on exchanges with Sister Gelwix! It's been almost a year since we were first companions and I didn't realize how much I miss teaching and "missionary-ing" with her. We actually taught some people who reminded me of Opelousas so I felt right at home!
Missionary work is full of ups and downs, just like life, but I am so grateful for these tender mercies of the Lord. My favorite quote this week: "We fail only if we fail to take another faithful step forward. We will not, we cannot, fail if we are faithfully yoked to the Savior - He who has never failed and will never fail us!" - Elder Bennett

Have a bless'd week. Keep on taking those steps of faith. I know the Savior will be right beside you. I love y'all!

<3 Sister Thomas

Michael teaching me how to play the erhu (chinese instrument)

We tried to take a fun picture after baton rouge
exchanges but it just ended up like this

Wild Louisiana rain

No comments:

Post a Comment