Monday, August 1, 2016

"Ye are only in the service of your God"


Sister Amezcua is an angel

Last district meeting! Elder McArthur is "dying", which is a mission term for going home

Happy August 1st, everyone! I hope y'all are doing well and loving life. Time is flying by so fast! Next week will be the end of my first transfer (six weeks in Louisiana) which seems crazy. I love it here in Opelousas and I am convinced I have the best companion. Life is beautiful. 

The six kids that got baptized last week, the Papanias, are doing really well. They are some of my favorite people. They glow and we feel at home when we teach them. Hopefully Maverick will be getting baptized soon as well! He's on date but we are waiting on Robyn's divorce to go through so they can get married before being baptized. He is a solid guy. I haven't met many people here who are as grounded as he is. He understands what is most important and he is always striving to be better. We love seeing him grow!

We received an answer to our prayers this week about Ms. Robyn, the Papanias mother. She had been avoiding us for a while and we didn't know how we could help her. But she called us one night and told us she needed to see us. Yes! We saw her the next day hoping to share a message with her and check up on her and see how she is doing. Our lessons never really go as we plan with Ms. Robyn though. She spent two hours talking to us about all the guys she has been with and the drugs they took, her party life, and who knows what else. We got a word or two in here and there but mostly she just talked at us, not to us. We finally just stood up and Sister Amezcua told her we had to go and we left. This was a step in the right direction and we're grateful for it!

One of the less active members of the ward has also been avoiding us lately. Last Monday she called us sobbing and when we talked to her she confessed she relapsed with drugs. It is heartbreaking. The worst part is she has a 13 year old son who witnessed the whole thing.  We met with her every day until she went to the hospital to detox and she seemed to get grounded, but this is a cycle with her. Very sad. But she told us she wanted to read the entire Book of Mormon while she is at the hospital so hopefully that will help her get back on her feet. We love her and hate to see her so down. Most of all, we hate seeing how it all affects her son. 

Sister Amezcua is still in a ton of pain. We went to the hospital for her to get her MRI but they said the machine broke. Classic Opelousas. Hopefully they can get her in again soon so some real progress can be made! She is fighting many hard battles right now but she is great at staying positive and keeping up the faith. She is an inspiration to me. 

I love studying about Jesus Christ. One of my favorite parts about my mission has been really coming to know my Savior better. I read a talk by Henry B. Eyring from conference (women's session) about service that I really loved. He mentioned that when we serve others, Jesus feels that service. When we comfort others, Jesus feels that comfort as well. I had never thought about it like that. I love Mosiah 2:41 and I have understood that by serving others we serve God but I had never imagined it was so direct. Knowing that makes me want to serve so much better! 

Keep loving and keep serving everyone. Love y'all!
Sister Thomas

Rocking the cornrows Haley put in our hair

Fried frog legs anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment