Monday, August 22, 2016

I know that my Redeemer lives

The frog didn't turn into a prince so that's a huge bummer

President Hansen paid a surprise visit to District Meeting and treated us to lunch

Box pile or album cover?

Happy Monday, y'all!

This week was wonderful. One of the best parts was we were able to do some service to help out with the flooding. The schools were reopened again today and most of the roads are clear so we are seeing some real progress! We helped out at a project organized by Our Savior's Church to provide supplies for those affected by the flooding. It was beautiful to see people in the community of all religions coming together to help those in need. The people here in Opelousas are just so good. On Saturday the governor's wife, a nun, and some other random people dropped by which was pretty cool. It was a great service opportunity.

Crazy/funny moments:
 - The bell went off at the end of Sunday School and Theodore, who came to church for the first time, jumped up and said, "See if we're having a fire drill we better run on out of here!" 
 - We were teaching Sharon about reading the scriptures and how it brings us closer to God and she started going off about how it is just better to be with God "in His presence" and how she just chills with Him all the time (this is a common occurrence with people around here)
 - We had a member present lesson (always a gamble in this area) and it went downhill fast. We were trying to teach the restoration and the member says, "Okay well let me just tell you. I can get deep. I can get real deep. I can tell you that some people don't even have birthdays!" (she went on for 20 minutes despite countless attempts to stop her)

Sister Amezcua is an angel. She is so good at lifting others up and she is a light in the lives of so many. She has some hard mountains to climb right now. This week she finally got a diagnosis: degenerative disc disease (not something she should be experiencing at 21 years old). She is in a ton of pain all the time but she is so good at staying positive and maintaining hope. We are learning how to take it slower and leave it in God's hands. I thought I understood what it felt like to let go and trust in God before my mission but now I am experiencing it like I never have before. I'm realizing that sometimes faith isn't about doing more; it's about caring less. It's about letting it go and allowing yourself to fall into God's arms. It might be hard now, but like Sister Amezcua always says, "It can't rain forever". The best is yet to come! 

We can find the beauty in every day if we will allow ourselves to do so. So find joy in the little things, smile more, and give thanks to Heavenly Father. He is so good to us. Whatever happens, this gospel is true. I promise it is true. It is perfect and it is for everyone. "Oh, sweet the joy this sentences gives: I know that my Redeemer lives!"

I love y'all!
Sister Thomas

I am head over heels for sweet Tammy

District en pointe (homemade matching ties and headbands)


No comments:

Post a Comment