Monday, July 4, 2016

Peace, be still



We got permission to go to a fireworks show in Lafayette with some
members last night. It was hot, humid, and wonderful!

I never know what to think of the food here.

Lunch with the new district (minus one)

The District: Selfie
Hey y'all!

Happy 4th from Opelousas, Louisiana! My goodness, what a place to be. The area is crazy beautiful, the people are incredibly kind, and the missionaries are taking care of business! I know I am going to be so happy here.

Opelousas is in what is known as "exile" in the LBR mission. It is pretty far away from a lot of places and it's a little out in the boonies. This wonderful place always has the best stories! Sister Amezcua (my outstanding companion) always tells me that "every person who is the craziest person ever migrates to Opelousas". So far I would say that is pretty accurate. Mama Cat, a member in the Opelousas ward, explained it to me like this: "Opelousas is the celestial kingdom at a circus". Amen. The people are wonderful, kind, and sometimes a little wacky. I am loving every minute of it!

My new companion is Sister Amezcua. I am convinced that I have the best trainer in the entire mission! She is no doubt one of the most Christ-like people I have ever met. We have the best times together and I love every second I am with her. She is teaching me so much and is always patient with me. I love her to pieces!

Some favorite moments:
 - When one of our investigators told us she won the Nobel Peace Prize
 - When the same investigator told us she is a prophet and her father killed Abraham Lincoln (whaaaat?)
 - When Sister Amezcua and I became professional cockroach killers (practice makes perfect)
 - When we taught a man who was sitting in a truck in the middle of the road while we stood out in the pouring rain

This week I have been thinking a lot about peace. Isn't it incredible how peace is the one feeling that Satan can't mimic? (thought cred: Sister Amezcua). Satan can try to confuse love with lust and temporary happiness with joy, but peace is something that can only come from God. It truly is a divine gift. It is always incredible to me how much God cares about us at every moment. He sees it all from the end to the beginning and because of that perspective many of our worries are small and frankly laughable to Him. But in His infinite goodness and mercy He sends us gifts of comfort and peace to help us find joy in the journey. My favorite song of the week is hymn 105, "Master the Tempest is Raging". Whatever happens, God is with us. We need to trust in Him.

 I am just the happiest here and I know it will only get better. I hope everything is going well for y'all at home! My love and prayers are always with you. God is good!

Much love,
Sister Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment